Share this page?
Search the Site
The Snakes and Ladders of Habit Reversal
The children’s game of Snakes & Ladders came from India.
Progress in the game depends on getting ahead using ladders, avoiding the hazardous snakes.
Success using habit reversal [HR] in The Combined Approach [TCA] to chronic atopic eczema depends also on helpful and unhelpful factors...
The HR Ladders: helpful!
• Using the clicker!
• Ensuring optimal conventional treatment
• Support from significant others
• Planning HR for particular circumstances
• Brilliant results within only a few weeks
• Availability of a Zap-Pack at follow-up
The HR Snakes: unhelpful!
• Demoralisation, from past experience
• Prejudice - clinical and non-clinical
• Failure to understand TCA
• Starting HR without registration
• Starting TCA when distracted by life events
• Stopping HR too soon - needs about four weeks!
- Key elements in habit reversal for chronic atopic eczema
- Success with habit reversal for chronic atopic eczema