Share this page?
Search the Site
Habit Reversal Tip #11 Turbocharge your habit reversal with meditation
Any relaxation exercise can help learn a new behaviour. Use your favourite technique regularly when changing a habit. Which technique is used is not as important as how it is carried out.
- Simple relaxation drills
- Progressive muscular relaxation
- Autogenic training
- Mindfulness Meditation
All are safe, can be done on one's own, and involve:-
- A sense of purpose
- Regular practice
- A set routine
- A reduction in anxiety and tension
Each have Social, Physical and Mental aspects:-
- Initial practice alone, or with others
- Set, regular times of practice
- Once learnt, can be used anywhere, whenever needed
- Awareness of body sensations
- Particular body position
- Gentle regular breathing
- A beginning, middle and an end
- A focus on particular feelings and thoughts
- A rehearsal of relevant notions and mantras
With behaviour modification, as in habit reversal, once an old undesirable behaviour has been understood and the new desirable behaviour has been defined, regular practice of a relaxation exercise will help the change over from one to the other. Whichever relaxation technique is used, once calm, relaxed and centered, the trick is then to introduce a mental dress rehearsal of the new way of doing things. Positive ideas practised when calm and relaxed are more likely to develop into convictions, the attitudes and beliefs that help determine our behaviour.